21.8.12 MMMMM... PARQUETRY

Image via Pinterest

Before I get into the deliciousness of parquetry I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has pledged towards my goal of getting to London to exhibit my work at Design Week! Also a big virtual hug to those of you who let me know you are loving the blog! I'm feeling the love...

Right, down to business. I almost posted about parquetry last week but wanted to let it germinate a bit before I did so. I have always loved it and often dreamt of living in an apartment in Europe just to experience it underfoot. I would never leave the house instead staring at the floor, following it's geometric tendencies from room to room. Those lucky European's, how wonderful to be surrounded by this flooring everyday!


Images via Design Sponge

Of course the term parquetry refers to the craft of inlaid timber. More obviously used for floors it also makes for a mean piece of furniture or wall panel. The incredible Ariele Alasko of Brooklyn was brought to my attention on Design Sponge recently and now I have serious parquetry making and studio envy. This girl knows how to work with timber... the craftsmanship or rather craftswomanship leaves me with mouth wide open. Another inspiring woman making modern craft. Check her out at Brooklyn To West.

 Image via Pinterest



2 comments:

  1. How funny that you should talk about parquetry. Your grandfather once built a home with all the living areas done in parquetry. I still remember lying on the cool strips of timber after a hot day on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh how I would have loved to see it! Tx

    ReplyDelete