2.10.12 LIBERTY OF LONDON


Being the thoroughly modern city it is, London in all it's history still leaves me feeling like I could turn a corner at any minute and be in a scene of my new TV addiction Downton Abbey. Having spent a year in my early twenties living and working there and a second trip ten years ago I feel a wonderful familiarity with and nostalgia for this city including it's historic element. Unexpectedly my recent third trip found me falling completely in love with traditional England in a whole new way. Basically I became smitten with the long-established craftsmanship that continues to thrive there in everything from the architecture to the object and furniture designs on show as part of the London Design Festival. Architecturally history can't help but give you a good slap across the face but design wise I noticed time and time again what an incredible job they are doing of merging new with old.


The best and most obvious  example I can give is Liberty of London. Housed in a Tudor building in the center of London since 1875 these guys really know how to embrace England's heritage and remain cutting edge. Having spent way too many hours there on my last day in London these pieces pictured were both vying for a spot in the suitcase. Neither won (darn the exchange rate!) but the Jubilee collection of archival furnishing fabrics and impeccably embossed leather diary shown will remain on my list of 'must haves' until we meet again!

4 comments:

  1. So nice to read your London posts! Before I moved there I was thoroughly devoted to everything modern but fell in love with traditional English charm too (and Liberty! and everything else!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Clare, you lucky girl to be surrounded by this all the time! Tx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't always like Liberty's colour-ways, but I love intricacy of the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its amazing photo shoot, i like it very much.

    ReplyDelete